What we teach children about police.
Visiting the local library yesterday my son picked out a book all about police. I was stunned when, after pages and pages of info about police cars and police offices, there were these two pages about Riot Control Trucks and SWAT Vans.
Even after months of tracking conflicts between police and the press I still have a profound respect for much of law enforcement and the jobs they do in our communities. However, the descriptions of water cannons being turned on protesters and the taunting opening on the SWAT page, “Someone’s causing a lot of trouble…,” all seemed out of place. Given the increasingly militarized response we have seen to citizen protests, seeing Riot and SWAT teams portrayed this way in a children’s book was troubling.
10 Notes/ Hide
- distopiaurbana reblogged this from susie-c
- demilit reblogged this from susie-c
- final-battle-of-penthesilea reblogged this from susie-c
- killershark84 likes this
- killershark84 reblogged this from scottrossi and added:
- latbb reblogged this from scottrossi
- brutesgonewild reblogged this from scottrossi
- scottrossi reblogged this from jcstearns and added:
- getoffmyblog likes this
- susie-c reblogged this from jcstearns
- jcstearns posted this